Bulgaria FM Visiting Ukraine's Odessa
A visit of Bulgaria's Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov to Odessa Oblast in Ukraine has entered its second day.
Mitov is in Odessa on June 5-6. On Sunday he met Ukrainian counterpart Pavlo Klimkin, who visited Bulgaria in mid-February.
The two ministers, who also held a meeting with the Bulgarian community in Odessa (which is thought to be numbering about 150 000), talked over projects which could help small and medium enterprises.
Odessa Governor Mikheil Saakashvili also attended the conversation.
Mitov told members of the Bulgarian community that Sofia is closely following developments in the region and is paying much attention to whether their right to studying Bulgarian is observed.
An issue of concern to Bulgaria is whether local authorities adhere to the principle of proportional mobilization (depending on the size of the respective community) in case of escalation in the Donbass region.
Odessa is home to the largest Bulgarian community in Ukraine. The overall number of ethnic Bulgarians in the country, despite conflicting numbers, is thought to be between 200 000 and 250 000.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s MFA condemned the Decision of North Macedonia to Erase a Bulgarian Association
- » President Radev: Bulgaria and 9 other ЕU Countries are not Participating in the Joint Procurement of Ammunition for Ukraine
- » Diplomatic Missions in Bulgaria with a Demonstration in Support of Ukraine
- » Ukraine’s Ambassador to Bulgaria: Peace means Victory for Ukraine in this Imperialist War
- » Lithuanian President Decorates Maxim Behar with a State Award for Articles Written in 1991
- » Russian Ambassador: Bulgarians are still a Russophile People