Bulgaria to Complete Fence at Border with Turkey by End of Year
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Chief Secretary Georgi Kostov announced on Friday that the fence at the border with Turkey should be completed by the end of the year.
Kostov added that legislative amendments have been proposed, which would allow for the army to guard the border, Darik radio reports.
According to him, the construction of the new section of the fence will start in the beginning of July.
As regards the long-proposed idea for the army to help Border Police in guarding the border, the Interior Ministry has developed a legislative initiative.
The proposal foresees the adoption of law on crisis management, which would allow for armed forces to serve in these critical zones.
Kostov clarified that at present no such legal opportunity existed.
Bulgaria began the construction of a fence along its border with Turkey in an attempt to deal with the influx of refugees.
Additionally, numerous police officers have been posted to the border, but this measure has proven inefficient, which has led to the recurring idea of stationing troops to help border police.
- » Bulgaria to Repair T 72 Main Battle Tanks
- » Bulgarian President Calls for Restraint During Procedure for Purchase of Military Aircraft
- » America’s Obesity is Threatening National Security, According to Study
- » US, China Look on as Putin Seeks India Arms Deals
- » Bm: SAAB Gripen Played its Trump Card for the Deal of New Bulgarian Fighter Jets
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: Working Group will Study Offers for New Fighter Jets by October 19