Bulgaria's Veselin Topalov Claims Championship Title at Norway Chess
Bulgaria's chess grandmaster Veselin Topalov claimed on Thursday the championship title at the Norway Chess Supertournament, which took place in Stavanger.
In the last ninth round of the tournament, Topalov drew with Viswanathan Anand from India, who finished second in the final ranking.
The Bulgarian won the tournament with 6.5 points out of nine possible after recording five victories, three draws and suffering only one defeat.
Topalov, who needed only half a point to win the tournament, played wisely and achieved the priceless draw after only 18 moves.
The Bulgarian, who played with the white pieces, chose a very solid line in a Queens Gambit and went for a well known repetition.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » How New Technologies Help Sport Fans Around the World
- » Bulgaria: Stadiums Open to the Public in Compliance with Strict Measures
- » Police Officers Took Grigor Dimitrov's Driver License in Monaco
- » Sport Events in Bulgaria Without Audience Until August 31
- » Alexandar Georgiev to Be Only Bulgarian-Born Player in Revised NHL Playoffs
- » Online Casinos: Top Reasons Why Casinos Are The Best In The UK