WikiLeaks Claims US Intelligence Spied on Last Three French Presidents
WikiLeaks announced in a press statement on Tuesday, that the US National Security Agency (NSA) spied on the last three French Presidents – Jacques Chirac, Nicolas Sarkozy and Francois Hollande.
WikiLeaks referred to top secret intelligence reports and technical documents on the communications of high-level French officials over the past ten years.
Apart from the three presidents, French cabinet ministers and the French ambassador to the USA were also targeted, France24 reports.
Among the topics addressed in the intercepted communications were “some of the most pressing issues facing France and the international community”, such as the global financial crisis, the Greek debt crisis and the leadership of the EU.
Sarkozy is said to have considered restarting peace talks between Palestine and Israel without the involvement of the USA, while Hollande is reported to have expressed fear of a Greek eurozone exit back in 2012.
Among the other issues discussed was the composition of United Nations (UN) executive staff and a dispute between French and US governments over US spying on France.
The latest revelations are likely to spark a controversy in France, as had previous allegations of US spying on French and German leaders.
Previous reports that NSA had wiretapped the private phone of German Chancellor Angela Merkel led to a political scandal in Germany and an official inquiry into the extent of cooperation between German and US intelligence services was launched.
This will once again raise the issue of trust between allies, which is likely to question the relationship between the USA and its European partners.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Ukraine Stopped the Transit of Russian Oil to Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- » Day 167 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zaporizhzhia to hold a Referendum on Joining Russia
- » Nuclear Tensions: Russia has told the US it is temporarily suspending inspections under New START
- » The FBI raided Donald Trump's Mansion
- » Day 166 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Amnesty Apologized for its Report but Did Not Retract its Findings
- » "Islamic Jihad" confirmed the Truce with Israel