Bulgaria's Environment Minister Calls for Imposing Stricter Fines on Oil Spills
Bulgarian Environment Minister Ivelina Vasileva called on Friday for tightening fines imposed on oil spills.
According to the Environmental Protection Act, the maximum fine, which could be imposed at present is BGN 100 000.
Vasileva intends to undertake a legislative initiative and increase the fine to at least BGN 500 000, Darik radio reports.
The exact cause of the recent oil spill, which happened at the Lukoil Neftochim refinery in Burgas on Wednesday, has not been identified yet.
Tonnes of A-95 gasoline spilled out from a burst pipeline in the section between Dolno Ezerovo and Bratovo and leaked into the Chakarliiska river and Vaya lake.
Following the incident, Vasileva announced that the refinery will be fined with the maximum amount - BGN 100 000.
The minister added that the sucking out of the spilled gasoline has been completed and she will inspect the remediation operation of the polluted areas on Saturday.
Vasileva said that regardless of the cause of the incident, the operator of the facility was responsible for the spill.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Clouds and Snow with Max. Temperatures between 3°C and 2°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Snow all over the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max. Temperatures between 6°C and 11°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Max. Temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and cold with max. temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for strong wind is in force for 27 districts in the country