BBC: 'Bulgaria's Fortified Frontier a Staging Post for Migrants'
The new border policy of Bulgaria has been discussed in a BBC article. The border police post at Elhovo is the starting point.
Now that a razor-wire fence 1,5 meters thick is now extending along the Southern border with Turkey, Bulgarian officials reportedly believe that the measure is a safer and more effective way to deal with the increased refugee influx to the EU.
One of the issues is the fact that the EU itself has been sponsoring the efforts in terms of border protection far more than those aimed at refugee integration. Approximately EUR 300 M had been allocated to the former and merely EUR 2 M to the incorporation of refugees into the Bulgarian social environment.
Another issue is also discussed - the fact that most refugees merely use Bulgaria as a stepping stone to better-developed countries, like Germany for example. Therefore, Bulgaria is facing increasing pressures on improving its monitoring and protection facilities.
The full article is available here.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 'Bulgaria Phone Scammers Rob, Blackmail Elderly'
- » NY Times: Bulgaria Grows Uneasy as Trump Complicates Ties to Russia
- » NY Times: As Support for EU Flags Elsewhere, Bulgaria Sees Its Benefits
- » DW: German Businesses Prefer Trade with Bulgaria over Investment
- » The Economist: Bulgaria, Moldova Presidents 'Less Pro-Russian Than Advertised'
- » AFP: Bulgaria's Radev 'Struck a Chord by Attacking the Status Quo'