False Alarm on New Ethnic Tensions in Sofia
The Bulgarian Interior Ministry has revoked the information that police specialized teams have been sent urgently near Sofia’s Novi Han.
Earlier Tuesday, information had been released in local media that there had been an ethnic conflict that required police presence on site. Tensions between Roma and local population escalated after mass beatings over the weekend between the two ethnic groups in the Sofia neighborhood of Orlandovtsi.
The situation in Novi Han, however, was quite different. A scandal arose on account of Roma caught while stealing electric wires. Civil organizations later submitted them to the local authorities. People also started open fights on account of several cars set on fire.
Novi Han police authorities stated that two men have been arrested near the Elin Pelin train station on suspicions that they have participated in thefts in the region.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria – How Can We Help
- » Why is it so Hard to Predict Earthquakes?
- » Seismologist: Bulgaria cannot be Directly Affected by the Earthquake in Turkey
- » Bulgaria: The Second Stage of Repair of the Tram Line 5 in Sofia has Started
- » Bulgarian Red Cross and the Chief Mufti with Campaigns to Raise Funds to Help Victims of the Earthquake in Turkey
- » A Man with a Bulgarian Passport is among the Missing after the Earthquakes in Turkey