EU Parliament Calls on FIFA to Select Interim President
The European Parliament adopted a non-legislative resolution on Thursday calling on FIFA to select an interim president to replace the incumbent Sepp Blatter.
The Parliament notes that the recent corruption allegations have seriously damaged the credibility and the integrity of international football.
The resolution urges for zero-tolerance policy on corruption in football and highlights the urgent need for in-depth structural reforms within the organisation.
The resolution calls for a transparent, balanced and democratic decision-making process, which should be also applicable to the election of the new president.
The Parliament asked for the dismissal of all officials involved in financial misconduct and the revision of decisions linked to corrupt or criminal activities.
MEPs highlighted the importance of Swiss and US investigations into the bidding processes for the 1998, 2010, 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
The resolution stated that corruption in FIFA was “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted”.
Thus, FIFA had to undertake wide-ranging reforms, including a review of its statutes, structure, code and operational policies.
The Parliament advised FIFA on enhancing its transparency and accountability and addressing its decision-making process and the remuneration of its executive and senior management.
The MEPs called for setting limits to the terms of the members of the Executive Committee and the adoption of ethical standards and a code of conduct.
The resolution advises for the management and the Executive Committee of FIFA to be supervised by an independent monitoring body.
The Parliament also urged the EU and its member states to enhance cooperation on all ongoing and future investigations on corrupt practices in FIFA.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Finland to Issue Fewer Visas to Russians, Estonia Suspends them on Thursday
- » Putin Condemned "the West's Collective Efforts to Destroy the European Security System"
- » Assange's Lawyers are Suing the CIA
- » Day 174 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Shoigu and Guterres discussed the Security Situation at the Zaporizhzhia NPP
- » Amid another US Delegation visit, China conducts Fresh Military Drills around Taiwan
- » UN: By November 15, the World Population will reach 8 Billion People