Close to 6,000 Refugees Rescued Off Mediterranean Coast
Rescue teams form Italy, Germany, Great Britain and other European countries have managed to salvate close to 6,000 refugees in the Mediterranean over the weekend, as reported by DPA.
Rescuers have performed a total of 30 operations. Only on Saturday, they have managed to save 3,480 people, and a smaller number on Sunday - 2,371. The biggest portion of them has been detained in ten ships approximately 80 kilometers away from the Lybian coast. The refugees have called emergency through the on-deck phones.
A ship of the British Navy, a trade ship and another Maltan boat have also participated in the rescue operations.
All 5,851 migrants are expected to be taken to Italy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Arctic: MEPs Call for Peace and Reduction of Tensions in the Region
- » MEPs Push for Common EU Cyber Defense Capabilities
- » Powerful Earthquake in Pakistan, Dozens of Deaths Reported
- » NATO Expels Russian Staff
- » European Parliament Opposes Mass Surveillance
- » 44 Percent of Adults in North Macedonia have been Vaccinated