Romania's President Iohannis Asks PM Ponta to Step Down
Romania's President Klaus Iohannis on Friday asked Prime Minister Victor Ponta to resign after the national anti-corruption agency announced it had launched a criminal probe against Ponta.
"In my opinion, it is an impossible situation for Romania to have the Prime Minister charged with major offenses. On the other hand, the worst thing that could happen to Romania now is a political crisis. Considering all these, I am calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Victor Ponta," Iohannis said in a statement, according to Agerpres.
The National Anticorruption Directorate announced earlier on Friday it was investigating Ponta for suspected forgery, complicity to tax evasion and money laundering in his former capacity of lawyer, as well as alleged conflict of interests in his current capacity of prime minister.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Macron: I am Convinced that We Found a Compromise Solution for Bulgaria and N Macedonia
- » North Macedonia Postpones the Debate on the "French Proposal"
- » Fight in the Macedonian Parliament (VIDEO)
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: We may Not Get a New Proposal
- » Belgrade: The Creation of the Serbian World is a Process that Cannot be Stopped
- » Former Albanian PM: The Bulgarian Veto does Not Block us, Rama is to Blame