False Bomb Threat Fails to Disrupt FIFA Congress
An anonymous bomb threat was received at the Congress of FIFA, which is taking place in Zurich on Friday.
According to media reports, a local police spokeswoman confirmed that there has been a bomb threat against the FIFA Congress and officers have been dispatched.
FIFA also acknowledged receipt of the bomb threat, while journalists reported that they were asked to leave.
After the premises were searched during the lunch break, it turned out that it was a false threat and the congress resumed, the Guardian reports.
Earlier on Friday, the congress was disrupted by protesters entering the hall, who were escorted out of the building by the security guards.
The highlight of the congress will be the election for FIFA President, with expectations being that incumbent Sepp Blatter will be reelected to a fifth consecutive term.
The congress comes as FIFA is being rocked by an enormous corruption scandal with several high-level officials being arrested on Wednesday on charges of bribery, money laundering and fraud.
Investigations have been launched into the bidding processes for the hosting of major football tournaments such as the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, 2018 World Cup in Russian and the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Prominent football and political figures, including UEFA President Michel Platini, called on Blatter to resign, but he demonstrated no intention to resign.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Ukraine Stopped the Transit of Russian Oil to Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- » Day 167 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zaporizhzhia to hold a Referendum on Joining Russia
- » Nuclear Tensions: Russia has told the US it is temporarily suspending inspections under New START
- » The FBI raided Donald Trump's Mansion
- » Day 166 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Amnesty Apologized for its Report but Did Not Retract its Findings
- » "Islamic Jihad" confirmed the Truce with Israel