FIFA Officials Arrested in Zurich Specialized Operation, NYT
Several top officials of FIFA were arrested early morning Wednesday in Zurich on account of corruption accusations.
Swiss authorities conducted a specialize doperation and arrested more than ten officials, the New York Times reported.
Among them were Vice Presidents of the Executive Committee Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands and Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay, as well as former member of the committee Jack Warner. They have been accused of various crimes involving money laundering practices, taking bribes on bets for football games, racketeering, money laundering and the like.
FIFA is one of the most powerful sports organizations across the globe, as football games are the most watched by audiences worldwide.
FIFA's President Sepp Blatter himself has been severely criticized over the manner in which he has been leading the organization over the years, but has not been charged.
Access the full article here.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Belarus Bans Orwell's 1984
- » Germany’s Chancellor Rejects Ukraine's Swift Entry into the EU - Deems it Unfair to the Balkans
- » Bush: The Invasion of Iraq was Brutal...I meant of Ukraine (VIDEO)
- » Day 85 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv Extends Martial Law and Mobilization by 90 Days, US Warned Moscow, Russia used Laser Weapons
- » UN: Mass World Hunger Awaits Us
- » European Commission Proposed an Armaments Plan to Ensure the Security of the EU