Bulgaria's Interior Ministry to Try to Defuse Tensions in Garmen Village
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry will try to defuse tensions in the village of Garmen, which escalated over the weekend.
The Chief Secretary of the Interior Ministry Georgi Kostov arrived in Garmen, in southwestern Bulgaria, on Monday, where he will meet the district governor, the director of the ministry's district department, the mayor of Garmen municipality as well as representatives of the initiative committee in the municipality.
Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova is also expected to arrive in Garmen on Monday afternoon, daily Dnevnik reports.
According to Focus news agency, Interior Minister Bachvarova is accompanied by three vehicles of the gendarmerie, while the meetings will be closed to the media.
The tension between Bulgarians and the Roma community in Garmen escalated in the past days, culminating into a fight on Saturday and the police presence remains heightened in the region.
Bulgarians are insisting on the demolition of all illegal buildings in the Roma neighbourhood of the village within a week.
In case their demands are not fulfilled within the requested deadline, they do not exclude further clashes to occur.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend