Ex-Foreign Min Warns against Bulgaria's Harsh Tone on Russia
Recent comments by Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov about Moscow's "irresponsible" approach to the situation in Macedonia are very dangerous, Mitov's predecessor Kristian Vigenin has said.
Vigenin commented on Friday morning Russian claims that Bulgaria and Albania might be aspiring to partition Macedonia amid street protests and political infighting. An official statement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov was followed by a swift reaction by Bulgaria's top diplomat, who fended off his claims.
"We all know that Bulgaria has no intention whatsoever to meddle in Macedonia's domestic affairs," Vigenin, who served under PM Plamen Oresharski in 2013-2014, has said.
Vigenin, however, warned against the "superficial" idea that the US and Russia were clashing in Macedonia: "Processes and issues in Macedonia haven't been piling up since yesterday. It is normal for people to demand a change in the political leadership which brought the country to a dead end."
His interlocutor in the Friday morning broadcast was MEP Andrey Kovatchev (EPP), who supported the actions of Mitov praising them as "adequate".
Kovatchev for his part said that whatever happens to PM Nikola Gruevski's government, it won't mean outright support should be thrown in Bulgaria or Europe on any other Macedonian politician.
He also reiterated his calls for a change in Macedonian attitude to the word "Bulgarian", where in his words it is still considered an "insult."
"They are trying to build their state very aggressively there. I don't want to say things which in this situation might be misused," Vigenin added to support Kovatchev.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria – North Macedonia: No Progress in the Work of the Joint Historical Commission
- » US Ambassador to Bulgaria: We give you Gas at Excellent Prices, Direct Flights will be Restored
- » Russian Ambassador to Bulgarian PM: The Word “Corruption” addressed to Putin is an Insult
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Our Position on North Macedonia will Not Change
- » Russia has Expelled another Bulgarian Diplomat
- » Russian Ambassador in Bulgaria: Neo-Nazism is Rising in a Number of European Countries