Explosion Rocks Office of Macedonia's Largest Albanian Party
A blast occurred late on Sunday near the office of the Democratic Union for Integration (DUI), the largest ethnic Albanian political party in Macedonia.
The attack took place in Mala Recica, a village populated by over 8000 people located in Western Macedonia, near its border with Albania.
No injuries were reported, but police immediately sealed off the region, according to Macedonian daily Utrinski vesnik.
A hand grenade was evidently thrown by an unnamed attacked riding a motorcycle, local news outlets report.
Mala Recica's population is almost entirely Albanian. It is part of Tetovo, a municipality where Albanians constitute some 80 percent of the population.
DUI has often been criticized in Macedonia over its de facto support for the government of PM Nikola Gruevski which, for its part, is accused by the opposition of applying pressure on the judiciary and the media and adding to the discrimination of ethnic minorities (in a country where ethnic Albanians constitute at least a quarter of the population).
- » Turkey Will not Give up on Drilling Near Cyprus, Despite EU Sanctions
- » Erdogan: C-400 Systems will be Fully Installed in Turkey in April 2020
- » Kosovo will not Participate in the Southeast European Summit
- » Angela Merkel: We Are Firmly Behind the European Perspective For the Western Balkans
- » Turkey is Again the Country with the Most Refugees in the World
- » The Supreme Electoral Council: Ekrem Imamoglu is the New Mayor of Istanbul