Maersk Tigris Ship Seized by Iran Has Bulgarian Captain, All Crew Safe
The captain of the Maersk Tigris cargo ship seized by Iranian authorities is a Bulgarian citizen, the Foreign Ministry in Sofia said on Wednesday.
Bulgaria’s ambassador in Tehran has sought a meeting with Iranian authorities over the seizure of the ship as well as detailed information about the state of the Bulgarian citizen, according to the Foreign Ministry.
The 65,000-tonne vessel bearing the flag of Marshall Islands was sailing through the Strait of Hormuz in international waters when Iranian Navy patrol boats ordered it to stop and escorted it to the port of Bandar Abbas on Tuesday, Maersk Line, the Danish shipping company that had chartered it, said in a statement, according to Reuters.
Maersk Line spokesman Michael Storgaard said in a statement that Iranian authorities told the company the ship's seizure related to an allegedly unresolved cargo claim, according to the AP.
"We are in ongoing contact with Rickmers Ship Management and are pleased to learn that the crew (are) safe and under the circumstances in good spirits," Maersk said.
The ship is being managed by Singapore-based Rickmers Ship Management company.
Citing Iranian state television reports, the AP said that the crew members were from Britain, Bulgaria, Romania and Myanmar.
Six Romanian citizens are on board the Maersk Tigris, according to Romanian media reports.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 458 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia is preparing a Simulation of an Accident at the Zaporizhzhia NPP according to Kyiv
- » Turkey will Vote for the first time in a Presidential Runoff
- » Germany to Transfer its “Patriot” Systems from Slovakia to Lithuania
- » The Situation in Northern Kosovo is Calm - Vucic no longer Leader of his Party
- » Vucic raised the Combat Readiness of the Army and ordered the Serbs to March towards Kosovo
- » Day 457 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least Two People died after Russian shelling of a Hospital in the City of Dnipro