Ros Rossin's Portrait of Maya Angelou Featured on US Postage Stamp
A postage stamp featuring the portrait of American author Maya Angelou - one of the most prominent writers in American 20th century Literature, has been printed out across the ocean.
Maya Angelou came into fame after her autobiographic book I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, where she addressed the issue of racism in the Southern states.
The charming author sadly passed away in 2014, at an age of 86.
One of her portraits was created by Bulgarian artist Ros Rossin, who is currently living in the US. At age 16 he was the youngest student admitted to the National School of Fine Arts in Sofia. Soon after the socialist government of Bulgaria was overturned in the fall of 1989, he immediately embarked upon travelling all over the world and exposing his art to international audiences. After visiting Japan, France, England, Germany and Greece, he finally settled in the US in 2001.
“I didn’t understand how complicated the world was, so it was my naivety that gave me courage to look beyond" explained Rossin in one of his interviews.
Rossin happened to be in the company of Maya Angelou for a while, and managed to capture her unique countenance in his work of art, currently displayed in the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, DC. That was the exact painting used for the post stamp now distributed all across the US.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarians Celebrate 174 years since the birth of Revolutionary Hristo Botev
- » Bulgarians Celebrate St. Basil's Day or ‘Survaki’
- » How Bulgaria Celebrates New Year’s Eve
- » Bulgaria Celebrates Ignazhden - the First Guest at your Home Determines the Year
- » Hours until the Final of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in Paris
- » You can Now Vote for Bulgaria at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2021, the Final is on Sunday