France's President Urges EU Ministers Meeting over Med Incident
French President Francois Hollande has called on European interior and foreign ministers to gather for an urgent meeting after a boat with up to 700 migrants capsized in the Mediterranean.
In an interview with France's Canal+, Hollande said urgent measures are needed to tackle "this kind of [people] trafficking, because those who bring people onto such ships are traffickers, even terrorists," Hollande warned.
He said the number of vessels and aerial vehicles patrolling Mediterranean waters and the air above, respectively, should be swiftly increased.
Twenty ships and three helicopters are taking part in a rescue operation off the coast of Libya south of the Italian island of Lampedusa.
Earlier reports by the Times of Malta suggest the migrants piled up on one side of the ship (which they were using to make it to Italy) in order to attract the attention of a Portugal-flagged ship.
Italy is to hold its own emergency cabinet meeting at 16:00 CET.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Indian Parliament passes landmark Women’s reservation Bill
- » Bulgaria and Romania expect to be in Schengen by the end of the year
- » Day 577 of the Invasion of Ukraine: New Attack on Sevastopol
- » Day 576 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv hit the HQ of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Crimea
- » Day 575 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Deputy Commander of the Russian Northern Fleet Killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- » Bashar Assad and his Wife arrived in China