Julian Assange to Be Interrogated by Swedish Prosecutors in London
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has agreed on being interrogated by Swedish prosecutors in London, as stated by his lawyer, quoted by the CNN.
Asange has been hiding at the Embassy of the Republic of Equador in the British capital since 2012.
He sought a refugee status there after Britain decided to extradite him to Sweden where he is being investigated on charges of rape and sexual harrassment.
Asange refused to go to Sweden stating that he was afraid that the Swedish authorities will submit him to the US forces. In case Assange is transported back to the US, he will be facing charges of sensitive information leak connected to US national defense, diplomacy and intelligence. In case Assange is found guilty of the crimes, it is likely that he will receive a death penalty.
The Australian journalist has exposed a lot of sensitive information, including details of the inner workings of the Bulgarian mafia and the past of people currently in positions of authority.
One of the main sources of information for Wikileaks - private Bradley Manning has already been sentenced to 35 years of imprisonment on account of the release of 700,000 secret documents.
Up until a month ago, Swedish prosecutors insisted on interrogating Assange in Sweden, but only recently agreed to execute the procedure in London. The deadline for pressing a viable charge against him is set for August of the current year, thus pressing the investigators into action.
- » China Will Waive Import Duties on some Soybean and Pork Supplies from the United States
- » Bulgaria among the Countries with Largest share of Old Aircraft
- » Donald Tusk: Brexit - One of the Most Spectacular Mistakes in the EU History
- » Many Flights Will Be Canceled due to Strike in France
- » US Imposes New Sanctions on China over the Violent Crackdowns on the Muslim Minority
- » The EC Meets Without Using any Paper for the First Time