Albania, Kosovo Call for Greater EU Integration, Warn of Unification
Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama warned the EU that his country could unify with Kosovo “in the classic way” in case the Union did not intensify the integration of Pristina.
Rama made this statement during a joint interview with Kosovo's Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hashim Thaci on Tuesday, B92 reports.
According to the Albanian PM, there were two options for the future unification of the two countries, which depended on the EU.
The first alternative for unification was through admission of both countries to the EU, but this was questionable as the Union continued to “close the door to Kosovo's integration”.
Thus in case the EU continued to deny membership to Kosovo, then the two countries will be forced to “unite the classic way”.
Rama clarified that both Albania and Kosovo were in favour of the first alternative – through EU membership.
Kosovo Deputy PM Thaci explained that Rama's statement did not represent a “threat to the EU”, but a possible development in case the EU maintained the isolation of Kosovo.
Rama criticised the EU for not finalising the process of visa liberalisation for Kosovo citizens, who were the only people in the region deprived of this privilege.
Thaci assured that Kosovo had already fulfilled all requirements on visa liberalisation.
Meanwhile, Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic reacted immediately to the statements, dismissing the possibility of Albania and Kosovo unifying in the classic way.
Vucic called on Albanian leaders to stop provoking instability in the region.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EU might Stop Membership Talks with Serbia
- » Kosovo PM: Conflict with Serbia is a Possibility
- » Injured Police Officers and Detainees at EuroPride in Serbia
- » North Macedonia’s President: Only Macedonians with Low Self-Esteem are Afraid of "Bulgarianization"
- » Macedonian Foreign Minister: Negotiations with Bulgaria Ended with 3:1 for North Macedonia
- » Vucic: I Don't Know How to Solve the Problem, but I will Not Recognize Kosovo