Al-Qaeda Frees Hundreds of Inmates while Storming Yemen Prison
Al-Qaeda fighters have liberated several hundreds of prisoners of a jail they have stormed in Southeastern Yemen, officials suggest.
Al-Mukhalla residents' accounts cited by the New York Times reveal that Al-Qaeda's affiliate in the Arabian Peninsula (acting in Yemen) has begun its first large operation since Saudi Arabia and various Arab countries embarked on a major offensive into Yemen aimed at overthrowing the Houthi regime that has ousted the country's president, Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
It seems that security compounds in the port city have also been targets of last hours' attacks.
During its raid on the prison Al-Qaeda has freed Khalid Batarfi, a senior figure in the group, and other high-profile members., according to Al-Jazeera English.
The TV station puts the number of freed prisoners at 300.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 173 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Over 40 Countries called on Russia to Hand Over the Zaporizhzhia NPP to Kyiv
- » 35 Tons of Humanitarian Aid for Ukrainians to Arrive in Bulgaria
- » 75 Years of Progressive India
- » Day 172 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Soldiers who Shoot at and from Zaporizhzhia NPP are Targeted by Ukrainians
- » Day 171 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia warns the US of Severing Relations if Declared Sponsor of Terrorism
- » A Man Killed 11 People after a Family Dispute in Montenegro