Birds in Bulgaria Decreased by One Fifth in Past Eight Years
The number of the most widespread birds in Bulgaria has decreased with 21 % over the past eight years.
However the diversity of birds remains broad, with 70 % of all kinds of birds inhabiting Europe found in Bulgaria, private bTV station reports.
Out of the 420 kinds of birds that can be found in Bulgaria, 26 of them are world endangered species.
The felling of trees, the ploughing of grass areas and the excessive use of pesticides are only part of the reasons leading to the declining number of birds.
According to data of the Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds, the population of European goldfinch has decreased by 65 %, that of the common quail with 64 %, the sparrow with 50 %.
Even Bulgaria's capital boasts with a rich diversity with as many as 220 kinds of birds to be found in Sofia alone.
Among Bulgaria's most endangered bird species is the Egyptian vulture, which is also the fastest declining species in Europe.
Other endangered species include the Eastern imperial eagle, with only 26 couples remaining, the Dalmatian pelican and the red-breasted goose, which is among the world's most rare species.
The second most important migratory route in Europe – Via Pontica, used by birds on their way to Africa, passes over Bulgaria's Black Sea coast.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increasingly Chilly in the Morning and Warm in the Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly Morning, Warm Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Wind is Weakening, Rain possible in the Southeastern Regions
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Dangerously Windy today as well
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Even Windier Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for Strong Winds in Three Regions