Another Six Pelicans Die at Bulgaria's Srebarna Nature Reserve
Six pelicans have been found dead at the Srebarna nature reserve in northeastern Bulgaria on Monday, BTA news agency reported.
The cause of the death wasn't immediately known.
The find takes to 27 the dead bodies of pelicans found in the nature reserve, a World Heritage Site located on a freshwater lake of 900 hectares on the border with Romania.
Srebarna, supplied by seasonal floods from the River Danube is the breeding home of 99 species of birds, 24 of which are rare or endangered. Some 80 other bird species migrate and spend winter there.
A team of investigators from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences used a camera-equipped drone to find whether other birds from endangered species have also died, BTA said
Veterinary and sanitary authorities have imposed restrictions on transportation of poultry meat and eggs in nearby villages and towns to prevent the spreading of the disease. Hunting in a 10-kilometre restricted area around Srebarna has also been prohibited.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Even Windier Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for Strong Winds in Three Regions
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot on the First Day of Autumn
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Morning Fog and Afternoon Rain Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly in the Morning, Warmer in the Afternoon