Explosion at Bulgarian Military Plant VMZ Sopot, Nobody Hurt
An explosion occurred at a warehouse of Bulgaria's largest arms factory, VMZ Sopot, located near the southern village of Iganovo, Karlovo Municipality, on Saturday evening.
The tip-off for the blast was received at around 7:30 p.m., according to Geori Kostov, Chief Secretary of the Interior Ministry, as cited by the Bulgarian National Television.
In Kostov's words, firefighters have brought the fire under control and there are no secondary blasts.
The area has been sealed off.
There have been no immediate reports of injury.
There is no risk for the people living near the warehouse of the military plant, according to local police, as cited by dnevnik.bg.
The warehouse of VMZ Sopot is located 3-4km away from the village of Iganovo.
The two security guards of the warehouse have not been injured in the incident.
There is no information at present about the contents of the facility.
The Plovdiv-based Regional Inspectorate of Environment and Water and the Executive Environment Agency are to test the air quality in the area.
On January 20, 2012, an explosion occurred at the same storage facility of VMZ Sopot, leaving three people injured.
The principal of VMZ Sopot is Bulgaria's Economy Ministry.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Passengers Wait over 6 hours for a Wizz Air Flight to Valencia at Sofia Airport
- » Bulgaria: 18-year-old on Amphetamines killed 22-year-old Student in Car Crash
- » Bulgaria: Taxi carrying Illegal Migrants from Syria Crashed in Sofia
- » Car Accidents with Casualties all over Bulgaria Today
- » Bulgaria: Car Crash on the Ring Road in Sofia, One Person confirmed Dead
- » Bulgarian Border Guards rescued 38 Refugees in the Black Sea, including a Baby