Kristalina Georgieva Urges Bulgaria Not to Postpone Necessary Reforms

Politics » BULGARIA IN EU | March 17, 2015, Tuesday // 10:34
Bulgaria: Kristalina Georgieva Urges Bulgaria Not to Postpone Necessary Reforms Kristalina Georgieva

The European Commissioner for the Budget and Human Resources Kristalina Georgieva has warned that Bulgaria should not wait to implement critical reforms in order to take advantage of the economic and social opportunities that EU funding provides. She also noted the importance of the reforms in the light of Europe slowly coming out of the economic crisis. Georgieva added that reforms are needed in the electronic government, healthcare, education and most of all the judiciary.

''We saw in Eurobarometer that we have hit rock bottom as 96% of Bulgarians do not trust completely their judiciary,'' she said. ''Seeing this, I asked myself who are the rest 4 %, it must be judges.''

Kristalina Georgieva was among the main speakers at the conference in the European Parliament under the slogan My Dream of Bulgaria, the Bulgarian National Radio reported. The initiator of the conference was the MP from center-right party GERB Eva Paunova.

Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov also took part in the discussion and warned that the idea of the Chair of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker for an European army should also align its activities within the NATO framework. He added that there will be a professed need for more investments on the part of member states.

What we should make clear from now on is firstly, how the new army will not be doing a double job with the systems within NATO, how it could complement NATO, instead of creating unnecessary buzz in the system,'' Mitov stated. ''Secondly, we even as of now are not able to provide sufficient resources in order to comply efficiently enough with our committments to NATO. The creation of a European army will require will for more resources in the defence system. This needs to be said. We are ''in'', but all member states need to deliberate on the more serious investments in the sphere of defence.''

We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!

Bulgaria in EU » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Eva Paunova, Defence, European army, NATO, Foreign Minister, Daniel Mitov, Kristalina Georgieva, reforms, funding, European Commission, EU, Bulgaria, Jean Claude Juncker
Advertisement
Advertisement
Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
Bulgaria news Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) is unique with being a real time news provider in English that informs its readers about the latest Bulgarian news. The editorial staff also publishes a daily online newspaper "Sofia Morning News." Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) and Sofia Morning News publish the latest economic, political and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria. Foreign media analysis on Bulgaria and World News in Brief are also part of the web site and the online newspaper. News Bulgaria