Meteorite Falls in Central Bulgaria
A meteorite has landed in the Sredna Gora mountain near the town of Sopot, in Central Bulgaria.
Locals reported seeing bright lights just before 19:00 EET (17:00 GMT) followed by rumbles and smoke, according to Novinite's Bulgarian-language website.
Some witnesses claim the fireball looked "the size of a washing machine" while making its way downwards.
But Sopot Mayor Veselin Lichev told private national channel TV7 that "it was a small piece of a rock... It fell somewhere in Sredna Gora and we will not be able to find it."
Lichev ruled out that it could set anything ablaze, since there have been no reports of a fire in the past 15 hours.
- » Tornado Injured 17 People in the State of Iowa
- » EU Nations Help Sweden as Wildfires Rage Above Arctic Circle
- » The Autumn Weather will Remain until the End of July
- » Clouds and Precipitation in Central and Eastern Bulgaria
- » Mexico City Earthquake: Houses Evacuated as 5.7 Quake Rocks Mexican Capital
- » A Weak Earthquake in Southwestern Bulgaria