US Ambassador to South Korea Slashed by Attacker
The U.S. Ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was injured in an attack by a man wielding a knife on Thursday in Seoul.
Lippert, 42, was slashed in the face during a forum held in Soul on Korean reunification.
The attacker, a 55-year-old Kim Ki-jong, was shouting anti-war slogans.
Doctors announced later on Thursday that the condition of the US envoy was stable, adding that he had undergone surgery requiring 80 stitches in his face.
"This incident is not only a physical attack on the U.S. ambassador, but an attack on the South Korea-U.S. alliance and it can never be tolerated," South Korean President Park Geun-hye declared after the attack, according to reports of CNN.
The 55-year-old attacker was reported to have a history of unstable behavior.
In 2010, he received a suspended two-year prison sentence for throwing a piece of concrete at a Japanese Ambassador to South Korea.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » US Mortality Data Indicates COVID-19 Death Toll Nearly Double
- » Second Truce Attempt in Nagorno-Karabakh Failed as Fighting Continues
- » COVID-19: Ireland Will Impose Lockdown
- » Head of IMF Georgieva - Bulgaria Could Do More Against COVID-19 and Economic Crisis
- » Rodrigo da Costa Is New Executive Director of the European GNSS Agency
- » COVID-19: Italy Imposes New Restrictions