At Least 110 Bulgarians to Compete in European Games 2015
At least 110 Bulgarians will represent the country in the first European Games, which are scheduled to take place in Baku between June 12 and 28.
For some of the sports, such as wrestling and judo, the continental games will have the status of European championship.
Quotas for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro will be allocated in twelve sports, daily Dnevnik reports.
Bulgaria's Sports Ministry promised to allocate BGN 1 M for the participation of Bulgarian athletes, but according to the Bulgarian Olympic Committee (BOC) the funds will not be sufficient.
The General Secretary of BOC Belcho Goranov expressed the Committee's readiness to cover the remainder of the expenses through its own resources.
Goranov added that the European Games will be used as an opportunity for gathering experience and the winning of as many Olympic quotas as possible.
In volleyball, Bulgaria will be most likely represented by its A team, while the B team will compete in the other tournaments.
Goranov assured that Bulgaria will participate with its best athletes, especially in the key sports for the country, such as wrestling.
The first European Games will not feature a series of prestigious sports such as athletics, basketball, football, rowing, tennis and handball.
Azerbaijan invested around EUR 1 B for hosting the European Games, in which more than 6000 athletes are expected to complete.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Former Football Star Berbatov Official Candidate for President of Bulgarian Football Union
- » Special Bets from Palms Bet - How to Bet on Duels and Specials?
- » Football: First Victory for Bulgaria in 2022 World Cup Qualifications
- » Sofia to become "World Capital of Sport" for 2024
- » Russia May apply for Hosting Olympic Games in 2036
- » Bulgaria’s National Football Team took a Point against the European Champion