Russian Investigators: Nemtsov Killing Linked to Charlie Hebdo Comments
Investigators are working on the hypothesis that the killing of Boris Nemtsov was related to his stance on the attack of Charlie Hebdo magazine.
"Nemtsov received threats related to his position on the shooting of journalists in the office of Charlie Hebdo edition in Paris," Vladimir Markin, who represents the Investigative Committee of the Russian Fedеration, said in a statement.
It added there were more witnesses of the development and they are currently being interrogated. (The victim was accompanied by a Ukrainian model at the time). Special teams are also working on the phone conversations of Nemtsov prior to his murder.
"That the crime was carefully planned, is beyond any doubt, along with the place picked for the murder." Earlier, the Kremlin described the event as "a contract killing."
The Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation is the country's main investigative authority.
Its comments come hours after the murder of Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov in the center of Moscow.
At the same time the events could be "a provocation for the destabilization" of Russia's political environment.
"The figure of Nemtsov could become a kind of sacrifice for those who do not abhor the use of no methods to achieve its political goals," Markin has added.
Neither does the Investigative Committee rule out the likelihood of a link with the Ukraine conflict.
Official information from the SKR's website also sheds some light on the killing itself.
"A 9-mm Makarov pistol" was supposedly used, Markin added
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Large-Scale Protest of the Opposition Will Take Place in Moscow
- » 26 Independent Candidates Enter the Moscow Parliament
- » Russia Urged Europe to Clarify its Position on the Iranian Nuclear Agreement
- » Vladimir Putin is on a Working Visit to Italy
- » Putin: The EU Has Lost Nearly 5 Times More Than Russia For 5 Years of Sanctions Against It
- » At Least 37 Confirmed Dead After Explosion in Block of Flats in Eastern Russia