Bulgaria Defense Ministry 'to Lay Off 4600' over Budget Shortfall
Defense Minister Nikolay Nenchev has said his institution will be forced to lay off 4600 military and civilian officers due to budget restrictions.
"[This is] something I wouldn't even wish to think about," the Bulgarian National Radio quotes him as saying.
Nenchev has called for an urgent update of the expenditure, especially in personnel costs.
Currently the ministry's budget for 2015 is BGN 987 M and is likely to remain that much at least until 2017.
Bulgaria's 2015 state budget was passed by lawmakers in a marathon session in Parliament in December of last year.
It did not envisage an increase in defense expenditures despite calls from President Rosen Plevneliev to set aside additional funding in line with NATO requirements.
- » Bulgarian Navy Will Receive New Motorboats for $2 million as a Donation from US
- » Trump Gives $717 Billion Defense Bill a Green Light.
- » US, Allies Train for Enemies Big and Small in Bulgaria
- » Today is the Official Day of the Largest Land Training of the Bulgarian Military Forces for 2018
- » Bulgaria Overhauls Mi-17 and Mi-24 Helicopters
- » Bulgaria Details Armoured Vehicle Procurement