Bulgaria Defense Ministry 'to Lay Off 4600' over Budget Shortfall
Defense Minister Nikolay Nenchev has said his institution will be forced to lay off 4600 military and civilian officers due to budget restrictions.
"[This is] something I wouldn't even wish to think about," the Bulgarian National Radio quotes him as saying.
Nenchev has called for an urgent update of the expenditure, especially in personnel costs.
Currently the ministry's budget for 2015 is BGN 987 M and is likely to remain that much at least until 2017.
Bulgaria's 2015 state budget was passed by lawmakers in a marathon session in Parliament in December of last year.
It did not envisage an increase in defense expenditures despite calls from President Rosen Plevneliev to set aside additional funding in line with NATO requirements.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Law Changes in Bulgaria: 3 Years of Imprisonment , Fine to 10,000 BGN for Anyone Who Violates Rules against COVID-19
- » Minister Karakachanov: The United States has Given Bulgaria $87 Million for Military Equipment
- » Expert: The NRA Data Leak Have Attracted the Attention of Hackers from around the World
- » There is No Migration Pressure Along Our Borders with Turkey and Greece
- » Opinion: Turkish Operation in Syria
- » Borisov: Nearly BGN 4 billion Will be Spent on Defense This Year