Ukraine Proposes Deployment of UN Peacekeepers, Russia Opposes
Russia expressed opposition to the earlier proposal of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko for the deployment of UN peacekeepers or EU police mission in order to enforce the Minsk ceasefire.
Poroshenko announced on Wednesday that Ukraine was planning to appeal to the UN and EU to deploy peacekeeping and security operation to the country.
His proposal was approved by Ukraine's national security and defence council at the emergency meeting on Wednesday, the BBC reports.
Although the ceasefire, which entered into force on February 15, has been largely observed, fighting continued in some parts of Ukraine, mainly around the vital transport hub of Debaltseve.
According to latest reports, 90 % of Ukrainian troops have withdrawn from the town of Debaltseve, which has now firmly fallen under the control of the separatists, TASS news agency reports.
Russian Permanent Representative to UN Vitaly Churkin firmly opposed the Ukrainian proposal on Thursday, accusing Poroshenko of wanting to destroy the Minsk accords.
The leadership of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) also denounced the deployment of such forces, as this would represent a violation of the Minsk ceasefire.
The leaders of the four countries, who had negotiated the Minsk ceasefire, will discuss the latest developments in a telephone conversation on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 348 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Promised Former Israeli PM to Not Kill Zelensky
- » Day 347 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Scholz claims Western Weapons will Not Hit Russia
- » Day 346 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky thinks Negotiations for EU can begin This Year, Germany has Evidence of War Crimes
- » Day 345 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Speculations about a Peace Plan and an End to the War
- » Day 344 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Von der Leyen visits Kyiv, Russian Officer witnessed Brutal Torture of Ukrainians (UPDATED)
- » Day 343 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US will provide Long-Awaited Longer-Range Weapons (UPDATED)