Bulgaria Detains 44 Illegal Migrants at Border with Romania
Bulgarian border police have detained 44 illegal migrants from Syria and Iraq trying to cross into Romania, bTV reported on Wednesday.
The migrants were discovered hidden in a Bulgarian-registered truck at the border checkpoint at the Ruse-Guirgiu bridge over the Danube around 2 am local time.
According to the cargo manifest, the truck was carrying apples to the Czech Republic. The truck driver is a Czech citizen.
The illegal migrants were trying to reach Austria. Thirty-nine of them were from Syria and five were from Iraq, bTV said.
The group included three children aged 14-16, eight women and 33 men.
Nine illegal migrants from Afghanistan were detained at the same border checkpoint on Tuesday afternoon.
- » BBC Investigation: Bulgarian Runs a Network for Fighting and Trading Dogs
- » More than 10 People were Detained in Operation by of GDBOP and National Security in Blagoevgrad
- » Masked and Armed Man Robbed a Bank Branch in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Authorities Shut Down 15 Websites Selling Fake Goods
- » Arrested Head of Work Capability Assessment Commission Remains in Custody
- » Third Skripal Suspect Linked to Poisoning in Bulgaria in 2015