Bulgaria Detains 44 Illegal Migrants at Border with Romania
Bulgarian border police have detained 44 illegal migrants from Syria and Iraq trying to cross into Romania, bTV reported on Wednesday.
The migrants were discovered hidden in a Bulgarian-registered truck at the border checkpoint at the Ruse-Guirgiu bridge over the Danube around 2 am local time.
According to the cargo manifest, the truck was carrying apples to the Czech Republic. The truck driver is a Czech citizen.
The illegal migrants were trying to reach Austria. Thirty-nine of them were from Syria and five were from Iraq, bTV said.
The group included three children aged 14-16, eight women and 33 men.
Nine illegal migrants from Afghanistan were detained at the same border checkpoint on Tuesday afternoon.
- » Cologne Hostage Taker ‘Under Control,’ One Woman Slightly Injured
- » Journalist Viktoria Marinova's Murder Suspect Partially Admits Guilt
- » AFP: Germany to Extradite Suspect in Bulgarian Journalist Killing 'Soon'
- » Africa's Youngest Billionaire Kidnapped in Tanzania
- » Seven People were Detained in Attempt to Sell Unique Gold Artifacts Found in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Sentenced to 40 Months in Prison in the Czech Republic after Threats to Pakistan About Terrorist Attacks