Romanian PM's Relative Detained on Suspicions of Defrauding EU Funds
The brother-in-law of Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta was detained by the National Anticorruption Directorate (DNA) on Tuesday on suspicions of corruption and defrauding EU funds.
Iulian Hertanu was detained along with two other businessmen after waiting for 17 hours at the DNA headquarters in Ploiesti, AGERPRES news agency reports.
The DNA prosecutors detained the three on suspicions of committing the crimes in the period 2011-2015.
According to sources, the corruption deeds in question concern the defrauding of RON 7 M from EU funds and tax evasion amounting to RON 2.5 M.
The funds were allocated for the repair of the sewage system in the small town of Comarnic in the Prahova valley.
The firms that had to conduct the works, allegedly siphoned off 54 % of the funds and used them for other purposes.
The main contractor on the project was the Grossman Engineering Group, whose manager is Ponta's brother-in-law Iulian Hertanu.
The MPs Sebastian Ghita and Vlad Cosma and the President of the Prahova County Mircea Cosma are also being investigated in the same case and are facing judicial review.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » American Combat Drones are being deployed in Greece
- » Borrell: There is an Agreement between Kosovo and Serbia
- » Kosovo postponed fines for "Serbian" License Plates at the Request of the US
- » NATO has urged Serbia and Kosovo not to escalate Tensions
- » Leader of VMRO-DPMNE demanded that Bulgaria recognize a "Macedonian Minority"
- » North Macedonia accepted the Amendments against Bulgarian Cultural Clubs