Bulgaria PM Hints He Will Resign if Parliament Fails to Approve New Debt
Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has hinted he is ready to stand down if lawmakers turn down the Finance Ministry's debt proposal.
The cabinet announced last week it would take on a new EUR 8 B external debt to deliver on payments of existing debt and to finance the budget deficit. A vote in Parliament is expected later on Wednesday.
"If they [the opposition] do not accept the debt... if someone tells me where to find BGN 6 B until the end of the year - because I don't know - we will grant them this opportunity even today," the website Dnevnik.bg quotes Borisov as saying hours before a cabinet session kicked off on Wednesday.
The opposition has meanwhile organized a protest in front of Parliament as the vote is nearing.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend