Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Starts with Victory in Dubai
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova won in the first round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship on Sunday.
Pironkova defeated the Czech Klara Koukalova with 6:3, 4:6, 6:3 in a game that lasted just over two hours, daily Dnevnik reports.
The Bulgarian recorded a fifth victory in seven encounters with her Czech opponent
Pironkova did not start the match well, conceding a break in the first game and losing the second.
The Bulgarian recovered quickly and managed to equalise for 2:2, but Koukalova achieved a new break and came in the lead with 2:3.
Pironkova won four consecutive games and closed the first set with 6:3.
The Bulgarian continued her performance in the second set and came in the lead with 2:0.
However it was Koukalova's turn to record four consecutive games and established 2:4 lead.
Although Pironkova managed to equalise for 4:4, the Czech won two consecutive games and closed the set with 4:6.
In the third set Pironkova came in the lead twice after winning two breaks, but Koukalova returned both of them and equalised for 3:3.
The Bulgarian achieved two more breaks, closed the set with 6:3 and won the match.
Pironkova finished the match with nine breaks, scored six aces and made five double faults.
In the second round the Bulgarian is to face the Chinese Shuai Peng, who defeated Elena Vesnina (Russia) with 5:7, 1:6.
- » Kubrat Pulev Is at the Top of Professional Boxing!
- » EU Volleyball Tournament: Bulgaria Triumphs over Portugal
- » Bulgarian FA Incensed by Southgate's Racism Claims
- » England 4-0 Bulgaria, Third Consecutive Defeat for Manager Balakov
- » Grigor Dimitrov Faces Daniil Medvedev in the Semifinals of the US Open
- » EPIC WIN! Grigor Dimitrov Stuns Roger Federer