Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Starts with Victory in Dubai
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova won in the first round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship on Sunday.
Pironkova defeated the Czech Klara Koukalova with 6:3, 4:6, 6:3 in a game that lasted just over two hours, daily Dnevnik reports.
The Bulgarian recorded a fifth victory in seven encounters with her Czech opponent
Pironkova did not start the match well, conceding a break in the first game and losing the second.
The Bulgarian recovered quickly and managed to equalise for 2:2, but Koukalova achieved a new break and came in the lead with 2:3.
Pironkova won four consecutive games and closed the first set with 6:3.
The Bulgarian continued her performance in the second set and came in the lead with 2:0.
However it was Koukalova's turn to record four consecutive games and established 2:4 lead.
Although Pironkova managed to equalise for 4:4, the Czech won two consecutive games and closed the set with 4:6.
In the third set Pironkova came in the lead twice after winning two breaks, but Koukalova returned both of them and equalised for 3:3.
The Bulgarian achieved two more breaks, closed the set with 6:3 and won the match.
Pironkova finished the match with nine breaks, scored six aces and made five double faults.
In the second round the Bulgarian is to face the Chinese Shuai Peng, who defeated Elena Vesnina (Russia) with 5:7, 1:6.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Minister of Sports Krassen Kralev : Stadiums Could Close Doors to Fans
- » 30 Years Later: Liverpool Is The New Champion of England!
- » Tennis Star Novak Djokovic Tests Positive for Covid-19
- » Coaches of Grigor Dimitrov and Novak Djokovic Tested Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Тennis Star Grigor Dimitrov Is Infected With COVID-19
- » Grigor Dimitrov is Training in His Hometown Haskovo