Ceasefire in Ukraine Largely Holds on First Day
The OSCE monitoring mission to Ukraine reported that the ceasefire, which entered into force on Sunday, was largely observed during the first hours, except in Debaltseve, Raihorodka and Luhansk.
The OSCE monitors were denied access to the key transport hub of Debaltseve, where fighting has continued.
.@OSCE_SMM says its monitors were denied access to Debaltseve, Ukraine— Bethany Bell (@BethanyBellBB) February 15, 2015
Debaltseve, which has been the centre of the latest surge in violence, has been besieged by the separatists, who are claiming it as their internal territory where the ceasefire is not applicable.
A military spokesman announced that the Ukrainian army came under attack 60 times since the ceasefire entered into force.
Apart from these violations, both sides report that the ceasefire held in most of the country.
Despite the ceasefire, the EU is expected to extend the list of Russian and Ukrainian citizens, who will be subjected to travel bans and asset freezes.
Russia was warned that the EU might impose further sanctions in case the Minsk ceasefire is not implemented.
The leaders of the so-called Normandy format, who had negotiated the ceasefire last week, held further talks on Sunday for implementing the next steps of the ceasefire.
The second day of the ceasefire foresees the withdrawal of heavy weapons in order to create two demilitarised buffer zones with width of 50-140 kilometres.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 283 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russians prepare for a Siege of Bakhmut
- » The Bulgarian Initiative "Generators for Ukraine" collected over 250,000 Leva in 5 days
- » Day 282 of the Invasion of Ukraine: 13,000 Ukrainian Soldiers Died in the War, according to Zelensky's advisor
- » Day 281 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Battle for Bakhmut continues, Russia to expand Nuclear Weapons infrastructure in 2023
- » Germany recognized the Holodomor in Ukraine as Genocide
- » Letter Bomb in the Embassy of Ukraine in Madrid