Domestic A Group Players Dominate National Football Team's Lineup
For the first time in many years Bulgaria's national football team will be made up almost entirely of players competing for clubs from the domestic A Group.
This became evident after the Bulgarian Football Union (BFS) released on Wednesday the final list of players that are to appear in the friendly game against Romania on February 7.
Bulgarian coach Ivaylo Petev had to make ten changes to the initially announced line-up as many of the teams did not release their players, while others suffered injuries and had to substituted.
The players competing for teams in the domestic A Group will constitute 86 % of the Bulgarian team.
Only three players competing for foreign clubs appear in the lineup – Stanislav Manolev (Dynamo Moscow), Petar Zanev (Amkar Perm) and Ismail Isa (Sheriff Tiraspol).
This will be the first game under the guidance of Petev, who was appointed after the dismissal of former coach Lyuboslav Penev.
Part of the players already held their first practice session on Tuesday in Antalya, Turkey, where the national team is holding its training camp.
Players of the Bulgarian reigning champion Ludogorets are expected to join the team on Thursday.
The friendly game is scheduled to take place in Antalya on Saturday at 19:00 EET (17:00 GMT).
- » Grigor Dimitrov Dropped Out of the Australian Open after a Tough Game
- » Grigor Dimitrov Received a Marriage Proposal after his Big Win at the Australian Open
- » Georgi Yanev, Alexander Alexandrov and Anelia Dukova Winners of the ISCT 2020 Squash Tournament
- » Official: Kubrat Pulev will Fight Anthony Joshua
- » Grigor Dimitrov to Play in Bulgaria at the Sofia Open 2020
- » Vladimir Iliev is the Athlete of the Year