Nikolay Mladenov to Be Appointed UN Middle East Envoy - UN Diplomats
The United Nations Security Council has approved the appointment of Bulgarian diplomat Nikolay Mladenov as UN envoy in the Middle East.
Mladenov will replace Dutch diplomat Robert Serry, according to sources close to the matter, as cited by the The Washington Post and the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency.
Mladenov has been UN envoy in Iraq since 2013.
None of the 15 members of the UN Security Council objected to the appointment proposed by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon by the deadline of Tuesday night, according to sources speaking on condition of anonymity.
Agence France-Presse (AFP), as cited by dnevnik.bg, points out that the appointment of Mladenov, former Bulgarian Foreign Minister, who headed the UN mission in Iraq at the time of the rise of the Islamic State, as UN envoy in the Middle East. comes at a time when the UN experiences serious difficulties in its efforts to renew peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian PM on North Macedonia: We are Preparing a Joint Celebration of Gotse Delchev
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No Need to Evacuate our Embassy in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: The Risk for Bulgaria is related to the Security in the Black Sea region
- » Overview: Where does Bulgaria Stand in the Tense Situation between NATO, Ukraine and Russia
- » Bulgaria and North Macedonia will be Connected via another Border Crossing
- » The OECD is Starting Negotiations with Bulgaria and Five other Countries