Bulgaria Opposition Socialists Demand Resignation of Environment Minister
The Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) on Tuesday demanded the resignation of Environment Minister Ivelina Vasileva over damages caused by torrential rains in recent days.
According to opposition Socialists, the resignation was the least that could be demanded, but the ultimate responsibility rested with Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, Darik radio reports.
In particular, they were infuriated by the statement of Vasileva, who advised Bulgarians to get used to the floods, as these were expected to become common in the country due to the climate changes.
BSP pointed to the uncontrolled felling of forests and the uncontrolled use of rivers in the last years as the main causes for the damages.
The Socialists called for urgent measures to be taken in order to put an end to these harmful practices.
Their leader Mihail Mikov said that the initiation of vote of no confidence against the government had not been discussed at this stage.
Earlier on Tuesday, Regional Minister Lilyana Pavlova announced that the latest floods caused damages to the road infrastructure amounting to BGN 22 M.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Still Warm and Quiet
- » PM Borissov LIVE: Compromise Will Be Made Only to Education
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Warm and Quiet
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sun Breaks Through Clouds, Gets Warmer
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Code Yellow Warning for Freezing Cold
- » Bulgaria’s Prime Minister Responds to President’s Criticism: Let Him Tell Me What Money to Stop Spending