Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Proceeds to Third Round in Melbourne
Bulgaria's No.1 male tennis player Grigor Dimitrov won in the second round of the men's singles competition of the Australian Open on Wednesday.
Dimitrov defeated Lukas Lacko from Slovakia with 6:3, 6:7 (10), 6:3, 6:3 in an intense game that lasted almost three hours, electronic daily Dnevnik reports.
The first set started well for the Bulgarian, who made a break and came in the lead with 3:1.
However his opponent recovered quickly, made a break in return and managed to equalise.
Dimitrov achieved a new decisive break and closed the set with 6:3.
The Bulgarian started the second set with an early break, but Lacko returned it immediately.
The set went into a tie-break, in which the Slovak established a 5:3 lead, but Dimitrov won three consecutive points .
Lacko was again in the lead at 11:10, when the Bulgarian made a double fault and conceded the set.
In the third set Dimitrov again made an early break and went in the lead with 3:0.
The Bulgarian continued to play with confidence and won the set with 6:3.
The fourth set followed a similar development – Dimitrov made a break early on and came in the lead with 3:1.
Lacko requested a medical timeout and following his return on the court managed to equalise.
However the Bulgarian achieved two further breaks, closing the set with 6:3 and winning the match.
In the third round the Bulgarian will face Marcos Baghdatis from Cyprus, who defeated the Belgian David Goffin with 6:1, 6:4, 4:6, 6:0.
This will be the seventh match between the two, with Dimitrov having won five times against Baghdatis.
However the Cypriot won their only match at a Grand Slam tournament, when the Bulgarian retired in Wimbledon in 2012.
Their last encounter was a year ago in Acapulco, where Dimitrov won and later claimed the championship title.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Women's Spanish teams Refuse to Play until the President of the Football Federation is replaced