Mountain Rescuers Warn of Avalanches in Ski Resorts, Frostbite
There is real risk of freezing and avalanches in the mountains, Kamen Yakimov of the Mountain Rescue Service told the BNR public radio.
According to him, temperatures in the mountains would drop to -20°C on New Year's eve.
He also warned the risk of avalanches is high. “The snow cover is unstable – it is too cold and it cannot set and there are high winds,” he said. “On another hand, there are drifts sitting on frozen patches, which cane slide and start an avalanche. The fresh snow covered holes and other obstacles, which bring risk of injuries.”
Yakimov urged the tourists to stick to the areas around the chalets and avoid venturing into the higher parts.
According to the Focus wire service, quoting the Mountain Rescue Service, the risk of avalanches is extremely high in the Borovets ski resort, especially at the Markudzhik 3 piste and the entire Mussala circus.
In Bansko and on Vitosha the avalanche risk was lowered down a notch to medium.
- » Warm Weather on Sunday as well as in the New Week in Bulgaria
- » Mostly Sunny Today, with Maximum Temperatures between 27C and 32C
- » Strong Earthquake near Ankara This Morning
- » Wildfire Raging near Kazanlak, 500 Decares of Pine Forest is Burning
- » By the end of 2020, the First Hydrogen Refueling Stations Should Be Operational in Bulgaria
- » Nearly 900 Asteroids Are Potentially Dangerous to the Earth Over the Next 100 Years