Bulgarian Government Dismisses Chief of Refugee Agency
The Council of Ministers announced on Monday that the President of the State Agency for Refugees Nikolay Chirpanliev has been dismissed.
Chirpanliev's deputy Vasil Varbanov will take over as acting head until the appointment of a new holder.
Chirpanliev headed the key agency in October last year – at the peak of the wave of refugees, electronic daily Dnevnik reminds.
On several occasions Chirpanliev made inappropriate comments – comparing the refugees to the Huns and accusing Amnesty International of being a deceitful organisation.
Vasil Danov, who is in charge of public relations at the agency, said that official information on the government's decision was still lacking.
The government has not disclosed any motives for the dismissal of Chirpanliev.
- » Bulgarian Institutions Continue to Use Unprotected Websites
- » Bulgarian Food Safety Agency: Over 30 Tonnes of Food Confiscated in August
- » Sociologist Forecasts Dynamic Political Season in Bulgaria
- » A Limit of 90 km/h is Introduced on Trakia Highway between Chirpan and Stara Zagora
- » Heating Prices in Sofia will Rise by About 8% from October 1
- » Border police: Heavy Traffic on Kulata, Kapitan Andreevo and Lesovo Checkpoints