Driver Dead, 14 Bulgarian Policemen Wounded as Truck Tumbles into Gully
A truck carrying 14 border police officers has gone off into a flooded gully, leaving the driver dead and many other passengers injured.
The incident unfolded at about 00:30 EET on Friday as the officers were returning from an operation conducted at the Bulgaria-Turkey border.
At a press conference, the Interior Ministry failed to clarify what caused the incident.
Interior Minister Veselin Vuchkov told reporters that the driver was stuck under the truck's bodywork and virtually submerged in the gully, with the heavy vehicle pressed against his body.
The victim, 43, was a policeman from the northern town of Svishtov.
Interior Ministry representatives issued a statement saying six officers had been hospitalized, two of them being in a critical condition.
- » BBC: Baby Dolphin Death Causes Dismay in Bulgaria
- » The Landfill Fire in Karlovo has been Contained
- » Wildfire in Forest near Sofia Area Broke out Again, Urgent Call for Volunteers
- » British Tourist Nearly Dies after ‘Severing Artery’ Plummeting Down ‘Extreme’ Water Slide in Bulgaria
- » A Woman Survives a 1.5-Kilometer Fall in Canada. Her Parachute Failed to Open
- » Part of the Wing of a Passenger Plane in New York Fell Off