Driver Dead, 14 Bulgarian Policemen Wounded as Truck Tumbles into Gully
A truck carrying 14 border police officers has gone off into a flooded gully, leaving the driver dead and many other passengers injured.
The incident unfolded at about 00:30 EET on Friday as the officers were returning from an operation conducted at the Bulgaria-Turkey border.
At a press conference, the Interior Ministry failed to clarify what caused the incident.
Interior Minister Veselin Vuchkov told reporters that the driver was stuck under the truck's bodywork and virtually submerged in the gully, with the heavy vehicle pressed against his body.
The victim, 43, was a policeman from the northern town of Svishtov.
Interior Ministry representatives issued a statement saying six officers had been hospitalized, two of them being in a critical condition.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weak Earthquake Felt in Burgas with Epicenter in Turkey
- » Bulgaria: Locomotive Caught Fire at Tulovo Station
- » Train Chaos: Delays and Cancellations Disrupt Bulgarian Railways Services
- » Bulgaria: Nearly 800,000 Households are Still Without Electricity
- » PM Denkov Addresses Severe Power Outages in 1,000+ Settlements After Snowstorm
- » Four Flights To and From Varna Canceled due to the Bad Weather