Bulgaria's Borisov, Germany's Merkel to Discuss South Stream, EU Funds
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov is set to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday.
Borisov, who headed the government for a second term in October, is on an official visit to Berlin at the invitation of his German counterpart.
The abandoned South Stream gas pipeline and EU funding is due to top the two leaders' agenda.
A week after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the end of South Stream early in December, Sofia came up with a proposal that Europe should help it to set up a hub for Russian gas at the entry of the pipeline into Bulgaria.
The Bulgarian PM is expected to discuss the issue with Merkel, though Moscow is so far determined not to go on with the project.
Bulgaria has already communicated its idea to the European Commission, but Maros Sefcovic, the EU Commissioner for Energy Union, has not yet commented.
Borisov arrived in Germany on Sunday afternoon and met representatives of Berlin's Bulgarian community in a few hours.
As many as three of his four deputies are accompanying him. These are Meglena Kuneva, Tomislav Donchev and Ivaylo Kalfin, in charge of EU policies, EU funding, and social policy respectively.
The three deputies belong to three different parties, with Kuneva heading a party within the Reformist Bloc, Donchev being a member of the main ruling Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) and Ivaylo Kalfin representing Alternative For Bulgarian Revival (ABV).
Tsvetan Tsvetanov GERB party's head in Parliament, Radan Kanev, who heads the Reformist Bloc (RB) in Parliament, and Delyan Dobrev, Chair of the Energy Committee, are also part of the delegation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The New US Ambassador: Bulgaria is a Strategic Partner and Ally of the United States
- » The Bulgarian Cultural and Information Center moved to Downtown Skopje
- » Bulgaria’s MFA handed a Note of Protest to the Ambassador of North Macedonia after the Shooting in Ohrid
- » Another Provocation! Shooting at the Bulgarian Club "Tsar Boris III" in North Macedonia
- » MFA on Russia's Propaganda Rhetoric: Bulgaria's Position is in Support of Ukraine
- » Russia on Bulgaria’s Military Aid to Ukraine: A Hostile Act, further Worsening our Relations