Every Fourth Bulgarian Woman Is Subjected To Domestic Violence – NGO
Every fourth woman in Bulgaria is a victim of domestic violence, shows a survey of the Alliance For Protection From Violence, presented at a news conference.
More than 70% of women who are being abused at home do not seek help and medical assistance. Between 4 and 10% of the domestic violence victims seek justice.
By law the victim can seek protection only after a complaint with the police. In reality, however, the victim must have a witness to corroborate her claims. “This forces the women to call a friend and tell them that their husband beat them,” said Milena Mitkova, a lawyer with the organisation.
According to Mitkova, the Alliance will lobby for legislation amendments to criminalise all forms of spying on the significant other and marital rape.
She also called for the adoption of the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence.
According to the NGO, since the beginning of the year 4000 women and children sought help from various organisations. Of them 1000 were placed in crisis centres, where they can remain for up to six months.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 231 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly Morning, Warm Afternoon
- » Bulgaria: The Monument to the Soviet Army in Sofia was Wrapped
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 238 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Wind is Weakening, Rain possible in the Southeastern Regions
- » Bulgaria: Car with 17 Migrants collided with a Taxi in Sofia