Left-Wing ABV: South Stream Could Be Redirected through Nabucco Route
Bulgarian President (2002-2012) and ABV leader Georgi Parvanov has proposed that the South Stream pipeline undergo a second change in route to use the one planned for the Nabucco pipeline.
Parvanov's comments follow last week's decision of Russia to renounce South Stream and to launch an "alternative" version going to Turkey instead.
The head of Alternative for Bulgarian Revival (ABV) believes the idea could also pave the way for TAP, the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline, which is envisaged to carry Caspian-Sea gas to Italy via Turkey, Greece and Albania.
Parvanov told the Bulgarian National Radio that Sofia could put the proposal forward during Tuesday's Council of the EU dedicated to the fate of South Stream, with Brussels so far failing to have an official position on the move by Russia.
Parvanov was one of the architects and the staunchest supporters of the "Grand Helm" project including three energy infrastructure facilities which in his words would have safeguarded Bulgaria's energy security and turn the country into an unavoidable energy hub. The construction of Burgas Alexandroupoli oil pipeline, the Belene NPP and the South Stream gas pipeline were all blueprinted as dominated by Moscow.
"South Stream will start from Turkey, but the question is what happens next. Bulgaria has to have a clear vision if it will continue to be a factor with regard to gas diversification in Europe," the website OffNews quoted him as saying.
Parvanov believes the project could include countries which were partners to South Stream, namely Hungary and Austria. At the same time part the project excluded Serbia, which counted on having South Stream built on its soil.
- » Bulgarian Energy Minister: I Hope the Belene NPP Procedure Will Be Successful
- » The Procedure for Choosing a Strategic Investor in Belene NPP Starts
- » Bulgaria, Northern Macedonia and Albania Unite their Electricity Markets
- » Тоday It Will Become Clear Which Are the Candidates For the Construction of TurkSteam on Bulgarian Territory
- » Bulgaria's Deputy PM: Serbia and North Macedonia Show Interest in Belene NPP Project
- » Bulgarian Energy Minister: The Technology for Construction of Belene NPP is the most Modern and Reliable