EU Unfreezes Bulgaria's Blocked Funds for Regional Development
The European Commission is unfreezing the EU funds under Operational Programme Regional Development, that were suspended for Bulgaria in the middle of the year.
This was announced by Vice President of the European Commission and Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources Kristalina Georgieva.
Georgieva participated in the joint pressconference between Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, following their meeting in Brussels on Thursday.
Borisov commented that the unblocking of the funds represented a confidence which Bulgaria receives in advance.
The suspended funds under Operational Programme Environment have already been unfrozen.
The EU funds under several operational programmes have been suspended to Bulgaria since 2013 due to their mismanagement and irregularities surrounding the procurement procedure.
Georgieva said that at today's meeting it was agreed that the European Commission and the Bulgarian government are to create a joint team which will ensure that EU funds are to be utilized properly in Bulgaria.
Juncker assured that EU funds will be relaunched and used to the full in solidarity with Bulgaria.
The Commission President expressed his hope that Bulgaria will do its best in using the EU funds to stimulate growth, create jobs and improve the lives of Bulgarians.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria