US Army Might Deploy Tanks to Bulgaria
The US Army is planning to station about 150 tanks and armored vehicles to NATO countries, including Bulgaria, next year, a US general has said.
“I’m going to look at options that would include distributing this equipment in smaller sets, company-size or battalion-size, perhaps in the Baltics, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, places like that,” Ben Hodges, who heads NATO's Allied Land Command, was quoted by the Enquirer as saying.
Troops might also be deployed for several months to carry out joint drills in these countries.
In a phone interview Hodges explained nearly 50 armored vehicles were already in place and another 100 M1 Abrams tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles would be "pre-positioned" in Germany and possibly elsewhere.
He added the equipment sent to Eastern Europe would "stay behind" after the joint exercises.
The move is part of the so-called "Operation Atlantic Resolve", a US gesture of support for allies in Eastern Europe in the light of what the alliance has described as possible aggression from Russia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Defense Ministers of Bulgaria and North Macedonia: We are Ready to Strengthen Cooperation
- » Macron approves of France giving Bulgaria Temporary Fighter Jets until the New F-16s Arrive
- » Ukrainian Cargo Plane has Flown 9 times from Varna and Burgas with "Defense-Related Products"
- » Bulgarian MiG-29s again Escorted a Passenger Plane after a Bomb Signal on board
- » American Planes will be Involved in the Protection of the Bulgarian Sky
- » A Bulgarian MiG-29 assisted a Passenger Plane after a Bomb Signal